Episode 245 S7-7
Download Day After Disaster for FREE!
One week commercial-free access to the audio drama, access to the Changing Earth Archives, behind-the-scenes clips, and more!
Quarantine has taught all of us some new lessons about sheltering in place. Every change can be grieved about for the thing you left behind or embraced for the gifts change delivered. Now is a time to maintain your daily routines and fill your brain with knowledge. The amount of free content that you can digest about survival and prepping is astounding.
ChangingEarthSeries.com offers a plethora of past lessons. It’s also a great time to shore up supplies, upgrade your home security, and learn better monitoring systems for keeping your family up to date on local happenings.
Daily routines are essential for maintaining your sanity. Routes keep you motivated, and exercise is a must-do activity as well. If you need tips and tricks for a great workout without a gym, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. Exercise keeps your body healthy and your mind in a positive place. Learn to punch and kick. It removes tension. Training also makes the body tired, so you sleep better. Here’s some material to inspire you to get started.
- Physical Fitness for Survival https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-10-S1-10
- Disaster Ready Fitness (focus on elderly) https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-45-S2-10
- Survival Sparring https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-55-S2-20
- Getting and Staying Self Defense Ready https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-157-S4-33
Now is the time to learn! What else do you have to do? Don’t just stare at a machine, though, get out and practice what you learn. Here are some suggestions from The Changing Earth Survival Guide:
- Build a survival shelter
- Survival Shelters Tips and Pitfalls https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-2-S1-2
- Building a Debris Shelter https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-101-S3-20
- Research herbal healing and experiment with making balms, salves, tinctures, teas, etc.
- Herbs to Treat Arthritis https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-5-S1-5
- Post Apocalyptic Medication https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-18-S1-18
- Herbal Answers to Everyday Ailments https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-90-S3-9
- Your Medicinal Herb Garden https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-117-S3-36
- Controlling Pain Naturally https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-148-S4-24
- Crafting Your First Aid Salves: https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-211-S6-11
- Teach you Plants for Wild Foraging
- North American Wild Foraging https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-20-S1-20
- Wild Foraging in the Desert https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-69-S2-34
- Wild Foraging in the Sierra Nevada Mountains https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-84-S3-3
- Harvesting Wild Berries https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-96-S3-15
- Wild Foraging in the Rockies https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-185-S5-22
- Wild Foraging in the Central United States https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-225-S6-25
- Preparing for Evacuation https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-22-S1-22
- Routes https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-201-S6-1
- Repack your go-bag – Free guide for signing up at http://www.changingearthseries.com
- Get your auto kit ready https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-153-S4-29
- Post Disaster Urban Travel https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-11-S1-11
- Develop Family Meeting Plan https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-19-S1-19
- Prepare for an Evacuation https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-22-S1-22
- Traveling with Supplies https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-29-S1-29
- Care for your Boots https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-51-S2-16
- Bugging out with Children https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-126-S4-2
- Bug out Clothes https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-220-S6-20
- Practice growing sprouts https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-36-S2-1
- Canning 101 https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-118-S3-37
- Survival Basics https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-124-S3-43
- Fishing https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-179-S5-16
- Orienteering https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-189-S5-26
- Build Your Own Water Filter https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-43-S2-8
- Backup Power Systems https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-122-S3-41
- Make Your Own Paints https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-50-S2-15
- Practice Weather Forecasting https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-57-S2-22
- Learn Your Survival Acronyms https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-67-S2-32
- Practice Tactical Hand Signals https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-97-S3-16
- Make some weapons
- Practice tracking & evading https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-82-S3-1
- Practice Situational Awareness https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-129-S4-5
- Maintain Your Weapons https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-102-S3-21
- Practice Being the Gray Man https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-133-S4-9
- Practice Shooting/Archery
- Interrogation Methods https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-149-S4-25
- Trap Building https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-105-S3-24
- Work Your Blades
- Blade Smithing Basics https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-177-S5-14
- Bladed Weapons Basics https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-178-S5-15
Pay sharp attention to your family. Bust out the board games, puzzles, and cards. Have some fun, and don’t act like a jerk. Everyone is feeling frustrated; being argumentative all the time will not help. Remember, your kids are scared too. They don’t understand what is going on, and they listen intently to what the adults are saying.
When it comes to food, put it in an order for long term food storage now, if you haven’t already stocked it. There are shipping delays, but you will still get it. The longer you wait, the less likely you are to get some. Eat the perishable food in your house first. When you are at the store, make sure you buy some extras of the foods that will last long term. Here are some nutrition and food projects.
- Post collapse nutrition https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-44-S2-9
- Starvation & Dehydration https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-88-S3-7
- Surviving Starvation https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-221-S6-21
- Make Your Own Vitamins https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode181-S5-18
- Make Travel Food https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-204-S6-4
- Learn about Goats https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-173-S5-10
- Learn about Chickens https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-73-S2-38
- Learn to Make Pemmican Bars https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-167-S5-4
- Learn about post-collapse solutions for your animals https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-6-S1-6
Cleaning supplies and proper hygiene are also vital. Survivor Jane talked about the hinie hydrant to use instead of toilet paper. Don’t flush substitutes! They will wreck your septic and clog up the city treatment centers. Make sure to stock up on bleach. It’s a great disinfectant as well as a water purifier. Think about potential future power outages and what you need to have ready for that.
- Survival Sanitation https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-16-S1-16
- Medical Sanitation https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-72-S2-37
Time passed in quarantine is a great time to focus on home security. Keep watch over your home. Talk to your neighbors from a safe distance. Look out for one another. Ben Branam and I did a great show on home defense that you can review. https://www.authorsarafhathaway.com/Changing-Earth-Podcast/Episode-150-S4-26
Monitor the news, but take everything with a grain of salt. Listen to local chatter on social media groups and local news. Call your friends and find out what is happening there. Set up your disaster communications
- Communication resources
Quarantine does not have to be a dull experience. Take the time to expand your mind!
The Changing Earth Series
Chin Gibson is the mystery prepper. Friend to all and known to none. His real identity hidden from the public, Chin is well known to the online prepper community as the go to resource for finding a community member to solve your problem. He is an awesome people connector and does his best to unite the voices educating the masses about being ready for a unforeseen life challenge. Chin will be joining Sara to co-host The Changing Earth Podcast.
Follow us on social media to discuss the novels, audio drama, and latest podcast takeaways.